Thursday, November 15, 2007

Casting

So it's been awhile since my last post, oops. To be fair, I have been a bit busy learning a new technique - Cuttlebone Casting. I did not have any real previous experience with casting before, but for my current project I wanted to have an element that was cast with the cuttlefish bone method. Casting with a cuttlefish bone imparts a unique texture on the piece, something that cannot be obtained any other way, and is a method that has been used for casting by gold- and silversmiths for many many years. It took me five tries to get one that was complete, but eventually I did it! Sorry, no pictures yet, but I hope to have the piece finished by next week and will post some pictures then.
Until then, check out this example of a cuttlefish casting in Mooretaste's shop.

No comments: